Last year, Jake and I really caught the camping bug. We are day-trip campers so we don't really "rough it" too much. Most of the places we go are easy to drive into, set up a tent for a night and then go hiking in the morning. For several weekends last June, setting up a tent and a campfire became our typical Friday night routine.
When it comes to food for camping, we like to keep it simple too. That's why these wraps are a favorite. They are very close to BLT style, but I like to switch out the lettuce for pre-washed baby spinach, and I always add cheddar cheese! All of the ingredients are easy to pack up separately in containers in a small cooler and assemble onsite. It's not your most "glamped up" meal, but it's one of our favorites.
Ingredients (for 4 wraps)
- 1 bag of fajita style flour wraps
- 2 oz of mayo (optional), stored in a container in the cooler
- 5-6 slices of cooked bacon, cooled, crumbled, wrapped in paper towels, and stored in a container in the cooler
- 8 oz of cheddar cheddar cheese, sliced, cubed and stored in a ziplock bag in the cooler
- Cherry tomatoes, washed, sliced in half and stored in a container in the cooler
- 1.5 cups of pre-washed spinach, we usually keep it in the purchased bag and store it in the cooler
- A plate or cutting board for assembling sandwiches onsite
- Serving plates
- A knife for spreading on the mayo
- Toothpicks for help securing the wraps together
- Napkins - this is finger food at it's finest so utensils aren't usually needed but they come in handy just in case
- A trashbag for keeping the camping spot litter free
- Drinks and other snacks, always essential for camping
- Hand sanitizer
To assemble the wraps, smear mayo on wraps. Layer each wrap with crumbled bacon, cheese cubes, tomatoes, and spinach. Wrap together and secure with a toothpick or have each person wrap it themselves.
This is the second post in our #summerthrowback series. As we count down the days until picnic season begins, we'll be featuring favorite recipes and tips from picnics of the past. If you missed the first post, check out these strawberry lemonade skewers and stay tuned in by following us on @picnicperfectco on Instagram.