Is anyone else's favorite part of a cinnamon roll the very middle? If so, I think you will love this recipe! It took me longer than usual to get this recipe down. I love traditional cinnamon buns, but if you frost these you'll lose the little heart swirl that makes them so picturesque. That's when I found Stonewall Kitchen's Coffee Caramel Sauce. It still adds a little sweetness, but the caramel color looks just right when you swirl them on these tasty little rolls. Bake up a batch for someone you love. Or better yet... fill up a tray and enjoy breakfast in bed.
Ingredients for the dough
-3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
-2 teaspoons of instant yeast
-3 tablespoons of sugar
-2 tablespoons of nonfat dry milk
-1 teaspoon of salt
-1 large egg, plus enough water to make 1 cup
-1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
-2 tablespoons of melted butter
Ingredients for the filling
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 a stick) butter, melted
-4 tablespoons of brown sugar
-2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 jar of Coffee caramel sauce
1. In a stand mixer, mix all of the dough ingredients together to make a soft, smooth dough. Place it in a greased bowl, cover and let it rise in a warm place for 1.5 hours (option to move in the fridge to chill overnight)
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a rimmed baking sheet. On a floured surface, roll dough out into 3 squares. With a pastry brush, glaze each with melted butter. In a bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle the sugar mixture onto each dough square. Rub in to evenly distribute. Cut into 5 long strips. Roll the ends of each strip together to form a heart.
3. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve with coffee caramel icing. Yields = 15.
Just in time for Valentine's Day, we are offering this recipe in our latest kit. You'll get the recipe card, the coffee caramel sauce and some serving spoons that are just right for caramel drizzling. Place your order here.