I believe that brunch is always a good idea, and when you are serving a crowd, this breakfast pizza is the perfect thing! One recipe can be adapted so many ways to suit different tastebuds. You can make the crust several days before and keep it in the fridge. Or if you are really short on time, you can buy store-bought dough and add on the suggested ingredients. Rise and shine!
Ingredients for the crust:
-460 grams high gluten flour (3 1/4 cups)
-1 gram of instant yeast (1/2 a teaspoon)
-2 grams diastatic malt powder (1/2 a teaspoon)
-8 grams of olive oil (2 tablespoons)
-310 grams of ice water (1 1/2 cups)
-5 grams of salt (1 teaspoon)
If you are making your crust from scratch, I recommend making it several days before and letting it develop flavor in the fridge. I've been in a pinch before and made this recipe 45 minutes before and the pizza wasn't nearly as crispy or cooked evenly. Good pizza crust takes time to develop the flavor. If you are on a shorter timeline, you could also buy a pre-made dough and add the ingredients below.
Directions for the crust:
Blend all ingredients (with the exception of the salt) together in a food processor or a stand mixer with a kneading hook. Add your water last (you may not use all of it depending on the humidity of your baking climate). The dough should have a rough shape and texture, but it shouldn't look too dry or soupy. The food processor will take only a couple of seconds to incorporate all of the ingredients. If you are using a stand mixer, knead it for about 3 minutes. Let the dough rest for a couple of minutes then add your salt and mix it into the dough (several seconds with the food processor and 1 minute of kneading with the stand mixer).
Basic toppings for the pizza:
-4 tablespoons of milk
-salt and pepper to taste
-2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese
-4 oz cream cheese
-fresh or dried chives (optional and for color)
You can make a plain egg and cheese style pizza or you can add one or two of the below...
-12 oz of cooked and crumbled breakfast pork sausage (I used these from Smithfield)
-16 oz of cooked and crumbled bacon
-1 red or orange bell pepper, diced and sautéed
-1 sweet onion diced and sautéed
*My favorite pizza combinations are:
-sausage and cheese (with fresh chives added as garnish on the top)
-bacon, bell pepper, onion and cheese
To assemble the pizzas:
1. Pull your crust out of the fridge about 15-20 minutes before you are ready to shape it. It's easier to shape a crust that's closer to room temperature.
2. While you are waiting, prepare your meat and veggies (this could also be done ahead of time with ingredients cooked, crumbled or sautéed and stored in the fridge)
5. Next, make the scrambled eggs. Whisk together the eggs, milk and salt and pepper. Scramble the eggs on a lightly greased skillet. Set aside until ready to add to the pizza.
3. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Turn up the oven because it’s important that the oven is HOT.
4. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with oil. On the cookie sheet, shape the crust into a thin oblong rectangular shape.
6. Once your dough is shaped, spread the scrambled eggs evenly on top of the dough. You'll be adding more ingredients on the top so that they are in the middle of the pizza and don't overcook.
7. Next add your shredded cheese and place dime sized drops of cream cheese across the top of the pizza.
8. Then add any additional toppings that you choose. If you are working with any fresh herbs, I'd recommend saving those to use as a garnish at the end.
9. Place your pizza in the oven and cook until the crust is crispy and the cheese is melted. This usually takes 8-10 minutes in my home oven. Watch it closely because pizza cooks quick in a 500 degree oven.
10. Remove from the oven. Let the pizza cool slightly and slice your pizza into serving size portions.
Let your guests pick their slice and enjoy! We have served this recipe many times on our patio outside or while on vacation at the lake. It also pairs very well with bloody marys or mimosas.
Do you have a favorite brunch recipe that you love serving guests? We'd love to hear about it @picnicperfectco.